Saturday, April 9, 2011

The Phantom Gardener

Remember how I said I had been waylaid by spring? Well, Tennessee decided to skip right to summer and all hope of productivity has been lost.

Today has been bright, breezy and north of 90 degrees. Shortly after breakfast I decided I could not bear to stay inside and do dishes, so I ran out the door determined to weed the yard of the thistles and nettles that began popping up with the warm weather.

The lawnmower that our landlords graciously share with us is being repaired, so we haven't mowed yet this season and the lawn is an ocean of strange weeds and wildflowers. There are the sweet, small violets and gangly dandelions I grew up with. However, there are also new visitors, genteel plants that seem to be the work of a phantom gardener.

Violets


I cleared away a mass of leggy green weeds to reveal a few clusters of Chinese Peonies, small buds already circled by ants.

Chinese Peony


These popped up seemingly overnight. What are they and which past tenant thoughtfully planted them?

Purple Flowers


Look what sprouted up between the daffodils: spearmint! Lots of it!

Spearmint


I followed a few stray runners to find a adorable patch of wild strawberries. I wonder if I can beat the birds to them when they ripen?

Wild Strawberries


Last but not least, I have been pulling up handfuls of wild garlic, trying to enjoy our windfall harvest before the lawnmower begins chugging again.

Wild Garlic


There are still 5 more days until the official frost date, but I can't imagine a more hospitable environment then the one in my backyard this sunny afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment