Monday, April 11, 2011

This is not a dream. We are transmitting from the N, O, A, A...

When I began my job I inherited my office's dusty little weather radio. My first course of action? Dust it off and crank it to 11!



I am one of those weirdos who loves storms and hail and tornadoes (as long as I have access to a basement.) Living in Nashville has been a real boon for me. Not only have I experienced an exceptionally severe and uncommon flood, but I have also survived several severe thunderstorms and a handful of tornadoes.I've hunkered down in the basement with a radio and the cat while a funnel cloud passed above, and let me tell you, it was thrilling!

Now that I am keeper of the weather radio, I get to hear all the latest government bulletins straight from its eerie mechanical mouth. But one thing has been sticking in the back of my mind. While it's very helpful to know exactly how many miles away a funnel cloud has been spotted, why does the voice have to sound like the dream transmission from Prince of Darkness?




No comments:

Post a Comment