Friday, January 7, 2011

The Himalayan Salt Crystal Lamp



If you have ever set foot in a natural foods co-op or that store at the mall that sells hermit crabs, then you are familiar with the Himalayan Salt Crystal Lamp. For those of you who haven't had the pleasure, it's a lamp that consists of a 25 watt light bulb screwed into the bottom of a chunk of solid rock salt. According to devotees it "ionizes" the air, eliminating harmful pollutants and radiation from our technologically advanced lives. It also looks rill purdy. Most people with any scientific background will tell you that slightly warmed salt does not function as a HEPA quality air filter, nor will it confer upon you ancient blessings. However, no one can argue that it looks like a totally boss glowing wizard stone.

My husband received one of these things as a Christmas gift this year. He hadn't even finished the sentence "What am I going to do with this?" before I blurted out "GIVE IT TO ME PLEASE GIVE IT TO ME I'LL PUT IT ON MY DESK AT WORK AND LOOK AT IT ALL DAY EVERY DAY". Guess who won this one?

So after lugging an 8lb salt crystal on a two bus, 45 minute journey to my office, I set this lamp up and my whole working life became about 54% better.

You see, for the first time in my working life I have an office. I have windows! And walls! And a desk I can put things on and not have to keep spotlessly clear! After years of temping and teaching and working in reception, I can finally decorate my workspace. This giant hippy crystal was not only something goofy to look at during my 8-5, but also my first trembling step into actually personalizing my office. An exciting prospect! So I set this puppy up and now spend many minutes each day silently contemplating the beauty of its ageless orange glow and the wisdom contained within.

I also spend another large chunk of my day visualizing grinding the crystal up and sprinkling it on top of a bagel.

No comments:

Post a Comment