Sunday, January 2, 2011

Fun-a-Day

Mailing Letters


January has come: a clean break, an empty frame, an expanse of fresh air.

For anyone looking for a project to expend a little of this positive energy on, I would like to humbly recommend Fun-A-Day. The goal of Fun-A-Day is simple: choose a project and complete one small step towards it every day during the month of January. By the end of the month you will have a body of work to share or use as a jumping off point for your next project. The whole point behind it is to stay motivated and productive during a month known for bitter weather and too much time spent inside.

A few years ago I drew a self-portrait every day in January. Perhaps the most exciting aspect of the project was creating a visual diary - in the style and substance of the drawings you can read the events of the day and the ideas I had been turning over. I am working on a project in the same vein for this month; I will be writing a very short poem each day, concerned specifically with capturing the tone and texture of the day. This project comes from a two-fold need to a) write more poetry and b) resume keeping a personal journal. I have already written three small dashes of poems and I an excited to share selections as the month goes on.

Friends, are you participating in Fun-A-Day?

No comments:

Post a Comment