Friday, February 4, 2011

My Secret Weapons

my secret weapons

Although I fancy myself a pretty decent cook, I am not afraid to admit my undying affection for these two little kitchen cheats. Without them, I would be sad and lost, unable to make a 5 minute tostada or ultra-luxe croutons to save a wimpy soup.

Penzey's Sandwich Sprinkle: This shit is legendary. Originally devised as a crouton spice blend, this mix of garlic, salt and stuffing herbs (basil, oregano, rosemary, thyme and marjoram) is perfect for when a dish needs just a little oomph. Also, it makes everything taste like Thanksgiving. Brilliant in salad dressing, stuffing, gravy, eggs (and egg sandwiches) and anything involving a potato. And fear not, Penzey's does not lie; it does make rad croutons. From the back of the bottle: mix 2 cups of bread cubes & 1 TB seasoning, saute in 2 TB butter or olive oil until crispy. So easy it doesn't even need a complete sentence. PS: although my little vegetarian heart breaks to say it, I bet it would be killer on a turkey sandwich with lettuce, tomato and mayo.

Tabasco Chipotle Pepper Sauce: While Sandwich Sprinkle has been my jam for the past year, me and Tabasco Chipotle go way back. I've been chugging this stuff since I found a bottle of it at FoodLand in 2005, and I've still totally entranced by its rich, smoky flavor. Naturally, it is fantastic on anything tex-mex, mixed into refried beans or blooped into chili. It's also the secret and vital ingredient in my stand-by quick meal of beans, hominy and greens (recipe to be featured in a later post). Lastly, this shit makes a KILLER MARINADE. The basic recipe is soy sauce + Tabasco Chipotle + minced garlic + white wine. Throw it on some tofu and stick it in the fridge overnight. Fry it up the next day and die because it is so delicious that you plucked out your own eyeballs.

1 comment:

  1. Sandwich Sprinkle, thanks to a very awesome wedding gift from you (and matt), is now a KovachEllis house favorite! It goes on EVERYTHING.

    ReplyDelete