Sunday, September 26, 2010

Doughnut Wish aka my triumphant return to VHS

It all started with a VHS player. After a year or two of just having a DVD player hooked up to our little television, I hooked up the combo DVD/VHS that usually sits in our closet. But then I did something crazy - I began watching VHS tapes.

Because I am a crazy pack-rat I have maintained a milk crate full of VHS tapes, lugging them to at least seven different apartments over the past decade. Well, I began pulling them out and watching them. And you know what? They are fantastic. There is something so lovable in the warble, the grain, the "check tracking" screens. It's a nostalgia trip that reminds me of sick days, sleepovers and family movie nights.

To celebrate my return to magnetic tape, my buddy Dave and I spent Saturday evening at McKay Books, combing through the VHS bins. After about an hour I left with an armload of cassettes and limitless joy.

We decided to do up the evening right with a classic combo:


Doughnut Wish

Death Wish + Doughnuts = Doughnut Wish
Pro Tip: a wicked sugar rush makes Charles Bronson imitations even more hilarious.


I now have a stack of a dozen more classic VHS gems to watch: Midnight Cowboy, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Alien, Beetlejuice, M*A*S*H, The Exorcist and much much more. I will report as I continue working through this pile. Until then, please enjoy the theatrical trailer for Death Wish 4: The Crackdown.


No comments:

Post a Comment